Saturday, April 17, 2010

Prom night.

Prom is tonight.
My first words as a child were in protest to prom. I’ve never liked the idea and always swore I’d make it out without going. We see how far that got me.
I mean, it could be a far worse situation. I’m not going as a date and I’m going with my best friend. Neither one of us is big on dancing, and I haven’t actually seen the other girl going with us in ages. The whole hanging-out-with-them-and-seeing-my-face-on-the-senior-recognition-display-advertising-a-Maya-Angelou-quote-and-aspiration-to-be-Amy-Poehler-to-Bree’s-Tina-Fey-amidst-tons-of-girls-who-want-to-only-be-stay-at-home-moms* will be grand fun. I also really love my dress, which is doubling (tripling?) as my graduation dress and the dress I’m wearing to my Aunt’s wedding in June. However, I just hate the idea of prom.

I feel like prom is trivial, and I’m beyond trivial at the moment. There are so many untrivial events about to occur in my life and I’m ready to be there, so things like prom and walking the stage at graduation seem so small. I’m ready to be out of high school and getting out in the world doing huge things that will not only impact my life by the lives of those around me. Sometimes, to be honest, I’ve started to question whether or not I’m supposed to really be going to college. I’m so anxious to get to Romania and help the broken world, it seems like college is almost a road block towards that. It’s a crazy thought, I know, because I’ve been given a clear point from God that I’m headed to UNCG for a reason that is non-academic.

My brain is cluttered today. I’m just thrilled by the possibilites that lay ahead of me but anxiously awaiting the day I get to actually experience them.
You know that feeling when you reach the very top of a giant hill on a roller coaster and you know that in two seconds, you’re going to drop a million feet, causing adrenaline to fly through your entire nervous system?
That feeling is here.

"Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!"
Psalm 27:14

"May the God of hope fill you with joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of His Holy Spirit,"
Romans 15:13

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to Him,"
Psalm 28:7

Days until Romania: 60
Funds raised: $2,838 out of $4,350.

* Not that there is anything wrong with being a stay at home mom. I’m just saying that it seems to be a pretty common thing among home schooled girls, and they tend to lean towards the Michelle Duggar side of stay at home mom, which I actually find to be a bit much.

3 comments:

  1. I thought I'd give my two cents. All this year I have been determined not to go to any school dance (my school has 2 dances a year for each class, 3 for seniors) so I was pulling the typical "I refuse to be social with any of you because I have much better things to do."
    So I decided to ask my friend Chelsea if I should or not. One of my favorite people ever, Elisa, said she'd be my date if I ended up going. And we're all nerdfighters, and I always have an awesome time with them.
    So despite the fact that you'd be surrounded by future stay at home moms, at least you'll be with fantastic people.
    I completely understand the triviality of prom of graduation. You just have to power on through the next month or two. I know it doesn't help when someone gets all "You'll be going to ROMANIA! Isn't that awesome?" And all you're thinking is "Yes. Can it just GET here already?"
    Not sure if this helped you at all, but I hope it did at least a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swore I'd never go to prom until I was a senior :D But now...It's tonight and I'm going >.< And nervous...

    ~Kendra (Stephanie:))

    ReplyDelete