Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The breath of fresh air.

The past nine months of my life have been revolving around hours on a sheet of paper that dictate when I am needed to scoop ice cream for ungrateful children inside a small building with people who are like my own bizarre little family. I've had plans ruined due to weekend shifts, days altered because I took a shift for someone at the last minute, and spent more time washing dishes and making waffles cones than I have doing anything else.
Today it all ended. I clocked out for the last time and taped a giant letter up on the wall for my co workers to read. It was nothing but a nonsensical novel of inside jokes and well wishing, filled with things no one but four of them will understand.
This morning I was really depressed about this day coming. As much as I've waited for it and thought it would never come, it finally hit me how much I'll really miss this job. I'll miss making radioactive pink cotton candy ice cream, running to the gas station together after closing with the guys, and listening to Anthony sing while he works (even when he doesn't know the words). Today I worked with a guy I've never met, but he found my ninja fly killing amusing and was really awesome. I made my last ice cream (Mint Chocolate Chip) and served my last customer (A chocolate waffle cone and strawberry smoothie). Caroline and Anthony both came to visit me. It was a good last day at work.
However, the thing about today that stood out was not any of that. It was the customer Matt helped while I was killing flies.

I was up front killing the remainder of flies that seemed to be breeding in the store (It's an ice cream store where the windows are almost always open. Bugs always find a way in and we have two huge bug lights to help this problem. I love hot, summer weather) while Matt made a milkshake for a guy at the window. Conversationally the guy asked if we'd been busy all day. We got to talking about the business and he asked how long I'd been working there. I told him, "Since August, but today is actually my last day," so he asked me why I was leaving. I told him I was going to Romania this summer on a mission trip and then going to college this fall. Well, it turns out the man had spent over 20 years traveling the world as a chaplain. He was asking me about my trip and kept saying how much I was going to love it and how blessed I would be the experience and how eye opening it would be. Matt brought him the milkshake and got his change for him, and as the guy was leaving he handed me his $5 change and said, "Put it towards your trip," and left before I could even react.

I love how God surprises us in the most unexpected ways on the most unexpected days. The last thing on my mind was fund raising for my trip, and yet this man who has nothing to gain from helping me and didn't even know my name or anything about me handed me what could have easily funded his next milkshake or cup of coffee or anything else that would directly benefit him. These are the people that are a breath of fresh air amidst the self serving customers who only complain about their orders and treat us like dogs. People like him give me hope.

Days until Romania: 35
Funds raised so far: $3,043 out of $4,350

No comments:

Post a Comment